Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve
Koshi Tappu Wildlife
Koshi Tappu is a birdwatcher’s paradise. Consisting of 175 sq km of wet and grassland habitat, Koshi Tappu is home to at least 493 species of birds, as well as being the last habitat of the endangered arna (long, pointy-horned wild water buffalo).
It’s a wonderfully serene spot and most travellers who visit are birdwatchers in search of rare species such as the swamp francolin, Bengal florican and sarus crane. Migratory species from Siberia and Tibet take up residence from November to February. While it lacks heavy hitters like tigers and rhinos, there’s still plenty to see – including Gangetic dolphins, blue bulls, deer, golden jackals, marsh muggers, fishing cats, mongooses, civet cats and porcupines. Wild elephants are also regular visitors, but more so to raid villagers’ crops at night – and hence are seldom seen by tourists. Arna can be sighted late in the afternoon grazing on the tappu and sometimes crossing the river. Gangetic dolphin are best spotted from the bridge at Koshi Barrage.
Day 01: Fly from Kathmandu to Biratnagar.then one hour drive to Koshi tappu. Briefing about trip. O/N at Resort
Day 02: After breakfast you set out for full day excursion on boat and four wheels drive with packed lunch to see waders, waterfowl, birds of prey, marsh crocodile, otters, wild water buffalo and Gangetic Dolphins including a visit to Pink Tower.
Day 03: After a wholesome breakfast you go for bird watch inside the reserve in the scrub forest, grasslands and wetland habitat with lunch packs to see swamp partridge, black necked stork, buntings, bulbuls etc. In the afternoon you can either continue bird watching or enjoy optional elephant ride to watch Arna, the wild water buffalo, blue bull, hog deer, fishing etc. O/N at Resort.
Day 04: Early morning you can either enjoy bird watching around the camp area or have leisure walk. After breakfast you departure for Kathmandu.
• Accommodation in deluxe safari resort on twin sharing basis.
• All safari activities (boating, bird walk, guide service, jeep safari, visit to Koshi Barrage) etc.
• All the local taxes
• Meals on AP basis
• Airport transfers Biratnagar Airport to Camp to Biratnagar Airport
• Employee service charge
• Wild life Reserve entrance fee
• Airfare Kathmandu- Biratnagar-Kathmansu
Cost Does Not Inclueds:
• Expenses of Personal nature and Travel Insurance.
• Entrance Fees to the Monuments / Temples / Shrines during tour.
• Others not mentioned in inclusion above.
• Tips for Guide which is not mandatory but expected.
• Driks, Alchohal, Laundry etc……